Friday, February 22, 2008

Is this the end for El Fenomeno?


By now most of you know that Ronaldo has suffered from a serious injury against Livorno this past Wednesday. The heartbreaking yells and screams were a terrible image to see. An image that reminded fans of when he ruptured his knee ligaments back in 2000 in the same stage, execpt he played for Inter then. He himself stated that it was the darkest period of his career. And once again he has fallen victim of the same injury.
Ronaldo is 31 and the media is already declaring that this injury will put an end to what has been a stunning career. However, I refuse to believe that I will never see him play agian. This cant be the last chapter to Ronaldo's career. It just would not be fair to see him leave football this way. No player deserves this. For the younger generation of football lovers, Ronaldo is one of those symbolic figures of football. Most never had a chance of seeing the greates like Pele and Maradona play, so in some cases Ronaldo is the closest will ever get.
For me Ronaldo has always been one of those inspiring players that as a kid I absolutly looked up to. Even throughout all the bad luck Ronaldo has had with injuries and weight, I have always been a devoted follower. To me he will always be the eternal 'nine', 'un crack', and the greatest of my generation. I have faith that he will once again return to grace us with his presence and goals. Its all up to him now. If there is will and motivation he can recover from this.

No comments: